I've done a lot of research and came up with lists of canned cat food brands and flavors that are low in carbohydrates and have healthy (i.e. meat or fish) ingredients. You can see these lists in prior posts.
When Lynn or I go cat food shopping, I thought it would be a lot handier to carry a small business-sized card in my wallet rather than the lists from this blog.
So I put together a "cat food cheat sheet" or rather a "cheat card" that can be printed on any printer from a simple PDF file.
PDF File Contents
One side of the card lists Fancy Feast, Petsmart Sophisticat Supreme, WalMart Special Kitty, and Trader Joe flavors of canned cat food that are OK for our cats to eat. These are the same flavors I've previously listed in this blog in the posts: List of Good-For-Your-Cat, Affordable, Low-Carb Cat Foods and Even More Healthy, Low Carbohydrate Cat Food Brands.
On the other side of the card are the preferred Guaranteed Analysis percents and a brief list of the general criteria for healthy cat food that you've seen here: Even More Healthy, Low Carbohydrate Cat Food Brands.
How to Download and Extract Your Free "Cheat Card"
The download consists of a single ZIP file which contains the actual PDF file to print. Download the ZIP file to your Desktop or to the location where you normally save downloaded files.
Click on the file name below to download the free Cheat Card ZIP file:
If you're running Windows XP or Vista, you can use Windows Explorer to extract the PDF file from the ZIP file. Just double-click on the ZIP filename. If you have any other operating system, you can use Winzip, 7zip or the equivalent to unZIP the file and extract the PDF file for printing.
Printing your "Cheat Cards"
- Once you have extracted the PDF file, double-click it to view it in Acrobat Reader. (Click here to download and install the free Acrobat Reader if it's not already on your computer)
- The PDF file is 3 pages long. The first page contains the printing instructions and page 2 and 3 are the contents of the "cheat card". The file is setup to print 4 cards at once on a 8 ½ x 11 sheet.
- First you print page 2 and then flip over the paper and print page 3 on the back of the same sheet.
- The cards are double the height of a standard business card, so you'll need to fold them over once to make them wallet-sized.
- You can print on any paper, but I used 60# card stock to print the cards. They are stiff like business cards and still fold easily.
To get your free Low Carb Cat Food Cheat Card,
click on this file name to download the ZIP file:
In any event, I'll be listing a couple of dry cat foods I've found that are lower in carbohydrates, and might be alright to feed your cat in a pinch...